Friday, August 29, 2008

This isn’t supposed to happen…


When we went to the doctor’s two weeks ago, he told us that we could let Luke sleep for four and a half hour stretches at night. When he told us this, I felt like he had given us the keys to the city, because up until that point, at best he had only slept about three hours at a stretch. Jamie and I got in the habit of feeding him right before bed and setting the alarm for four and a half hours ahead, just in case. And for two weeks we never needed that alarm because Luke alarmed us in his own dear way. So the past two nights I decided to forget about the alarm since we don’t need it and it’s just one more step to think about.

And last night, on Luke’s four week birthday, the unthinkable happened…

Luke slept five and a half hours!

Now of course I felt guilty before I felt proud and excited, although Jamie reassured me that we didn’t do any lasting damage, since four and a half hours was the doc’s call two weeks ago, and Luke cluster fed before bed. But still, if Luke gets addicted to drugs, or flunks out of high school, I’ll probably trace it back to last night…

Five and a half hours! I feel like a new person. I haven’t slept that long at a stretch since before I was pregnant. Now I know we can’t get used to this, that it was just a fluke (rhymes with Luke), but it was a nice treat!

3 comments:

nanny and papa milliken said...

Don't worry yourself about the little man. He'll know when he's hungry, and he'll let you know.
Remember: Jamie started sleeping really well early on. Like father, like son.

He's one of God's little angels for sure.

Annika said...

You are so lucky! I finally started sleeping more than 3 hours at a time last month, when Liam was 4 months old--not 4 weeks. I agree with Luke's nanny and papa--let him and yourself sleep. He will let you know when he is hungry.

Michael Hehir said...

I'm just chiming in to agree with everyone. Let the boy sleep. He'll wake up when he feels a disturbance in the Force - I mean, when he's hungry.