Wednesday, July 1, 2009

CSA! CSA!

Our good friend Lisa is away this week, so she let us pick up her CSA share from the Waltham Fields Community Farm. What a great experience! There were fourteen choices of vegetables, but we were allowed to choose only eight. So smart...this meant that I didn't feel obligated to take home beets or kale, easily the two worst vegetables on the planet.

Loading up on the veggies we like:


There was also a "pick your own component" that felt especially romantic to me. As soon as I got to the farm, I had this rush of being the parent I always wanted to be...I was "wearing" my son, we would pick our own vegetables and eat them that night, the sun was shining (rare these days) and beating down on his sun-screened arms...

Nolan looks wistfully over his shoulder at the peas:


Snipping parsley and picking snap peas while you are wearing a 20+ pound child and juggling (sharp) scissors, your cloth bags, and a camera case is not as relaxing as it sounds. I found myself wishing that I had just waited until Jamie got home so we could go together, or go by myself (even better!)

Not to mention, I couldn't help the inevitable separation of my shirt and jeans:

Enough with the photo op, Mom! I'm falling into the peas!

But then I picked a snap pea right off the bush and gave it to Luke to chew on while I perfected gardening calisthenics. And I suddenly had this vision of next summer, when we're definitely doing a CSA, and Luke can run and frolic about (in this vision he's barefoot, but I'm not sure that's practical.) He can help me pick peas, smell flowers, and challenge me with all sorts of other things I'm not thinking about right now.

I became a sap again.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi Catherine and Luke
I'm so glad you guys had a sunny day to have fun at the farm. Hopefully you didn't get too muddy or sore from the juggling while doing PYO.
See you soon!
Lisa and Samuel